Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cracking Up! 5 quirky and effective tips for restoring your old leather tack.











Ok! I know we have all run into this problem at some point in time. You don't keep your tack up like you should and after a while it starts getting dry and cracked. You don't want to have to throw it away, but you can't use it in the condition it's in. What do you do? I've looked through a bunch of books and on the web and These are the ones I like best. A few are a little out there but people seem to stand behind them so here you go!

No.1 Clean the leather really well with luke-warm (hot water can cause more harm than good) then simply apply your favorite saddle soap.

No.2 First wipe with a damp cloth, then apply a good wood-oil.

Ok, this is where it gets a little weird.

No.3 For a quick fix with things you already have around the house use olive or peanut oil to condition then seal with butter or salad dressing!

(I don't know about that one.)

No.4 Clean the leather really well with a damp cloth, then dry completely. Next Heat a good animal based oil and rub into leather, then poor excess oil into plastic bag with the leather and sit in direct sunlight for a few hours. Repeat if necessary.

No.5 This one is my favorite because it has worked for me in the past. Wipe the leather clean with a dry cloth, then apply a generous amount of Vaseline. Allow to soak in then repeat until leather is soft.

Well I hope one of these is the answer to your problem! Please comment and leave your home-remidy for restoring old leather. ;o)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these really helpful tricks. I can never get enough new tips! I love horses and all our furry friends in fact I have a blog just for this! Come and check it out at http://www.valheart.com. See ya!

    ReplyDelete