Friday, April 29, 2011

Breed of the Week: The Falabella!!!!

AWWWH!!!!! I WANT ONE!!!! I think I love these pony's a little too much!
These are the smallest horses in the world, the breed was developed during the 19th century in Argentina by the Falabella family. The Falabella spent years breeding the ponys at their outside Buenos Aires. The idea of producing a whole herd of miniature "horses" came from a Irish man living in Argentina, Named Patrick Newtall. He then past his knowledge onto his son-in-law, Juan Falabella, in 1879. He then produced the breed by crossing the Shetland with Newtall, later on there were infusions by a very, very small English Thoroughbred and a small Criollo. The smallest and best of the progeny were repeatedly inbred to keep the breed at a size that was below 30 inches. The selective breeding has produced a tendency of having a over-large head, among other problems. Most defects being in the legs and hind quarters. Another interesting fact is that falabellas tend to have 1 to 2 less ribs than other breeds. They come in a large variety of coat patterns and colors, the most popular being spotted or pinto, a throwback from their Spanish heritage. These little horses live a surprising long time, up to 40 years! They are great little pasture buddys and I have even heard storys of them being used as therapy horses, going to hospitals to visit sick children and the elderly. I love these guys, and all I know is that if I had one I would definitely have to sneak him into my room!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment