Saturday, February 12, 2011

Breed of The Week: The Appaloosa




So, this week it's the Appaloosa. I have always loved these horses, but I knew little about their breed, so I decided to make them breed of the week! Actually, me and appaloosas go way back. Well, about 7 years. I got my first pony "Scooby" for my seventh birthday, I had been riding for a few years and it was time for a pony of my own. I feel that I have to take a little time to describe the first time I saw Scooby to you in order for you to get the full impact. the day was April 8th, my 7th birthday. My mom woke me up early that morning to tell me the news that we were going pony-shopping, she had already called a few places and found a pony that just sounded perfect. I remember being so excited, I almost cried. I got up and got dressed, pulling on my little cowboy boots. But before we left, the phone rang. Perfect Pony had been sold. Oh, it was sad, but my mom had some back up pony's to look at, so off we went. The very first pony was Scooby, a white blanket Appaloosa. The second we got out of the car my mom was in shock and I was in love. Scooby was a shaggy, way under weight, sad little pony. He just stood there in the hands of this huge, random lady. I ran up to him and gave him some love. The lady asked if I wanted to ride him, I think my mom was a little sceptical because he was pitiful looking, but I quickly said yes. when he was all saddled the lady led me around a round pen. He was a perfect angel! So anyway, I think my mom bought him out of sympathy and we brought him home. We got him on a good feeding schedule and he steadily put on weight and shed his mangy coat, he looked great! The only thing was that now he was the devil pony. It was like over night, one day I guess he just woke up and decided to be evil! I have never said that about another horse, because I know that usually if the horse has a problem it's usually the owner's fault. But this was different he just was a crazy little horse! He could get out of his pen no mater what you did to it, and he would just take off down the road! I had him for about two years before it was finally time for a big horse. The day we were going to sell him I decided that I wanted to ride him one last time. I saddled him up and led him into the round pen, which was missing a few boards on the bottom of one side. the second I got on him he bolted toward the fence! I guess his plan was to knock me off with the top board while he just kept going. I remember pulling on the bit with all my might, to no avail. I think my dad caught him just before we went under. We sold him that day to a nice trainer who wanted a little pony for her son. So that was my first experience with a appaloosa. I did my homework this week and learned that Appaloosa's were developed by the Nez Perc`e Indians. They were very skillful and selective in their breeding. By the midd-1700s they established their herd and had gained a reputation for their horses. Unfortunately in the 1800s the U.S. army captured the Nez Perc`e and slaughtered nearly all of their horses. But thanks to a group of breeders in 1938, using some of the horse's descendants they managed to re-establish the breed! Appaloosa's are closely related to the American Quarter horse, so they are naturally athletic and have plenty of speed, endurance, and stamina. True Appaloosa's are caracterized by six acceptable configurations, know as: snowflake, leopard, frost, marble, spotted blanket, and white blanket. Their hooves are usually marked with black and white stripes, and their mane and tails are wispy, fine, and sparse. they usually have great length in neck and have a great defined withers, nice sloped shoulders. They are realible, strong, and hardy. I still love these beautiful in spite of my first traumictic expirence! I think they are just about some of the most beautiful horses out there!

Hope you liked it;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment